Destination Spotlight: Richmond, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia has a small-town charm, big-city entertainment, passionate fans, and competitive athletes.
That’s how Jerrine Lee, the Director of Sports Development at Richmond Region Tourism, describes her town.
The Richmond Region has become a great place to visit or hold a sporting event. The area itself is one of the most-central destinations on the East Coast making it an easy drive for many. Richmond is an outdoor playground with class III and IV rapids running right through downtown making it a picturesque place for a vacation.
The area has also gotten the attention of sporting event organizers. Sports Richmond, VA partners to host 80+ events a year including traditional sporting events like soccer, softball, volleyball, and lacrosse, and niche sports tournaments, like quidditch, spikeball, and ultimate frisbee.
It’s a great location for these tournaments since the Richmond Region has wonderful venues including…
- River City Sportsplex with 12 all-weather turf fields
- Glen Allen Stadium at RF&P Park seats 850
- Dorey Park features softball and baseball fields, multi-purpose fields, disc golf course, trails, and a fishing pier
- SwimRVA includes a 50-meter pool used in the 2008 Olympic Trials
- Pole Green Park premier cross-country course
The team in Richmond is also doing their part to prevent abuse in youth sports. The Richmond Region Tourism Sports Development team has partnered with the U.S. Center for SafeSport to become a SafeSport trained destination.
Learn more about Sports Richmond, VA, and the area at sportsrichmondva.com.